Stuff that has felt good lately:
* Doing work while listening to birdsong
. I still use my Pomodoro playlist of progressive house mixes
sometimes, but I find that the birdsong is very relaxing without being soporific--it calms the anxious chattery noise in my head, which lets the rest of my brain focus on the task at hand. Thanks to the birds, I was super productive today!
* Doing my PT exercises. I mean, yes, they're kind of boring, but it still feels really good to move and get stronger. The current list: leg stretches, isometric leg exercises, knee raises, straight leg raises, ankle pumps, weighted leg extensions; hand/wrist/arm stretches, wrist rotations, straight and reverse wrist curls with weights, hammer curls with weights, biceps curls with weights. I do this every night except Monday and Friday when I have actual PT, which is how you can tell I'm seriously committed to getting stronger. 5x5 is on hold until I strengthen my legs enough to protect my knees during squats, rows, and deadlifts, hence all the leg exercises.
* Getting comfortable with low-stimulus time. If I'm waiting for a file to load or sitting on a train for ten minutes, I keep the Twitter tab closed and the phone in my pocket, and deliberately sit alone with my thoughts. I'm still training up that comfort and it's definitely not always easy, but when I can get settled into it, I really like it. I'd been doing the Headspace creativity pack, but more and more I find I want to get back to just basic meditation or mindfulness without the themed bells and whistles.
* Doing gender mix-and-match with my appearance. Super-short buzzed hair and big earrings. A snug V-neck blouse and men's straight-leg trousers. Summer's a great time for this.
* Eating vegetables. I tend to forget about vegetables for a while and then remember them again. They're pretty great! Next I think I might rediscover legumes, which I've been ignoring for some time but are also delicious. Lentil soup, white bean dip, and daal are all on my list. Over the past year I ate a lot of poultry (and red meat and seafood in restaurants from time to time, but not cooked at home) and starches, and I'm ready for a change.
* Spring and summer weather. Breezes! Warm nights! Thunderstorms! I want to hug it all.
Plus the stuff that already felt good like snuggling my family, snuggling my kitten (who has been very very snuggly lately), and so on. :) I just feel very much in the groove right now. It's lovely.